In the summer of 2016, SASCU Staff, students and missionaries and local workers teamed up to begin developing land that was graciously given to them. They named it Providence Farm, meaning “God will provide”. Through generous donations the team built a large goat shelter, and cleared land to plant eucalyptus trees, various vegetables and maize. Most importantly, they built a well that provides fresh water to Providence Farm and surrounding families. An additional well was built for solar powered irrigation for crops. All projects are moving toward the goal of future sustainability.
In following our mission to provide a sustainable and safe home for vulnerable orphans, we made plans to construct a missionary home and dorms at Providence Farm. Through prayers, hard work and generous donations, we are making great strides! In 2017, construction of a solar-powered farmhouse began and was completed. This missionary house was built to provide housing for Innocent and Gloria, as well as teams that come to serve. In 2018, the girls’ dorm was built and in 2019, the boys’ dorm was completed. Also in 2019, an outdoor kitchen was built that feeds multiple children, staff, and volunteers. Early in 2019, SASCU began to fill the new dorms with orphaned boys and girls. These precious children now attend school daily, and are well cared for.
We are forever grateful for the generous donations given.
In 2016, SASCU/Providence Farm was given 18 adult goats to start their herd; and many are now giving birth! The goat herd has grown to over 140 healthy goats, and goat pens and a shelter has been built. In addition, SASCU has planted eucalyptus trees, vegetables, beans, maize, and citrus crops. A chicken pen and several coops have been built and the flock is growing. As donations are given, SASCU will continue to expand the goat herd, chicken flock, crops, eucalyptus trees, and maintain the farm.
SASCU/Providence Farm’s goal towards sustainability is through the development and growth of the farm land; breeding of animals; and donations and sponsorships to provide for the on-going needs of the SASCU orphans and other vulnerable children.
2019 GOALS REACHED
It’s been a busy year and we excited that many projects have been completed!
- Fill and ship a 40 foot container with goods to help reach the below goals
- Build and furnish a boys’ dorm at the farm
- Build a kitchen at the farm
- Move orphans from inner city to Providence Farm
- Expand goat production
CURRENT OPPORTUNITIES & NEEDS
- Funding for transportation of children to and from Providence Farm to school for the 2020 school year ($5,000)
- Purchase a used van ($6,500-7,000)
- Finish out a bathroom inside the missionary house ($3,000)
- Build a new 4 hole toilet/ outdoor bathroom at the farm ($5,000)
- Help with community outreach, which involves meals, some counseling, rescue and placement of street children ($5,400 for 2020)
- Construction of the soccer field at Providence Farm for community outreach and the SASCU children ($6,500)
- Continue to expand goat production
- Providence Farm Partner ($100 monthly) Sponsors education, housing, meals, uniforms, medical, and general needs of a child
Make checks payable to:
Save the Street Children International
The Good Earth Garden Center
15601 Cantrell Road
Little Rock, Arkansas 72223